Saturday, April 23, 2005

Two nights in Chicago

It has been a very long day, but I am now in a very cozy bed enjoying for perhaps one of the last times the modern conveniences of wi-fi, western toilets, air conditioning, and everlasting hot water.

I am at a staging event at the Hampton Inn + Suites in downtown Chicago. I have actually never been to Chicago before, so this has been quite an experience. I am sure I did not look like the sharpest knife in the drawer as I walked down the sidewalk outside terminal 3 with my two rolling suitcases, backpack, and briefcase. I used a van service from the airport to the hotel (new experience). When the driver told me his services could be rendered for $23, I thought it was a bit exorbitant. Then I learned how atrocious Chicago traffic is!

After a long morning of traveling, I was in for a long afternoon of introductions. When I got to the hotel, the rooms were not ready. Everyone put their luggage in one room and headed on to our conference room. After the longest mixer session I've ever experienced, I still know hardly anyone's name. From 3 to 7 we had session after session on basic Peace Corps information that did more to frighten and unnerve me with new things to worry about than relieve my fears.

Gladly, I did have some time to have fun in Chicago. I did finally get into my room and find out who my roommate is. We ended up with a few others going to a jazz restaurant/bar. PC gave each of us money, so we didn't worry too much about the bill. Between 5 of us, we raked up a bill of $120. That's really not too bad when I stop and think about it.

Thank God, I'm safe and sound in Chicago. This group of Volunteers is very friendly so I'm sure we'll have a good time together. While it is nerve wracking, I am excited about all that is to come. Keep praying for me.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Hey, this is Nick,
As a cognoscente of English, and knowing full well that you are teaching English, I thought I'd take the time to correct your errors that I came across. Let's start with this piece, shall we?

Although I haven't read much, I was impressed by your passion. I am at a PC staging event right now getting ready to head to Bulgaria to teach English. I will keep reading your blog for more foreign insights.

What is wrong with this? Well, take the last sentence, "I will keep reading your blog for more foreign insights." As an expert in this field, I can tell you that sentence is wrong. It should read, "I shall keep reading your blog for more foreign insights." The reason it should be "shall" rather than "will" is because of the English rule (found in every grammar book) that states first person simple future takes shall (I shall, We shall) whereas second and third take will(You will, He will, They will, etc...). The rule is then reversed in the emphatic future rule, the only problem is, your sentence should be in simple future, not emphatic. So the semantic difference between I shall keep reading... and I will keep reading... is as follows:
I shall keep reading... means that, for the most part, you will keep reading it, but something could happen that could cause you not to read it.
I will keep reading.... means the world could end, you could end up in the hospital, but nothing will stop you from reading it.
*Example: I shall drown, no one will save me, is a cry for help, for this person knows death is imminent and wants to be rescued.
In turn, I will drown, no one shall save me, and no one does because this is a suicide cry. This person wants to die.

Now for another erratum:
Here's what you said:

Everyone put their luggage in one room and headed on to our conference room.

Here, you have obviously created synesis in your writing, that is, you have a singular pronoun "Everyone" paired with a plural pronoun "their". Now, I know what you are going to try to say: "I wanted to keep from being sexist so I used what I thought was a neutered pronoun." Well, you're wrong for there is no such thing as a neutered pronoun. Many who try not to be sexist go with "his or her" but this is technically still wrong. One should stick with the masculine pronoun "his when "he" is trying to state something singular. It's called the "generic He" and it works as follows. Here is how your sentence should read:

Everyone put his luggage in one room and headed on to our conference room.

Now, if "everyone" meant all the people were women, then you put the "generic She", which is...

Everyone put her luggage in one room and headed on to our conference room.

But that's only if everyone were women. One man turns that statement to "his luggage". So, if you are going to teach English, you had best speak perfect English, as I do, and have read grammar books through and through, or you won't be a good teacher. If you want to use "his or her", that's fine, but it is unacceptable to use "their", which is plural, to mean one person. Pluralize all of the pronouns, but don't create synesis by splitting it up.

Anonymous said...

Maegen,

I wish I would have known you were going to be in Chicago! I could have come to see you. Oh well. I hope that your time here was well spent. Remember that I am praying for you and your safe journeys.

Cathy