Saturday, June 02, 2007

Indignation

Before you start, let me first apologise for writing yet another “It’s been two years and…” or, “Now that I’m getting ready to leave Bulgaria…” themed post. What can I say? It’s where I am right now.

I know I’ve said it before, maybe a few times, but coming to the end of my PC service brings to my mind many questions, specifically about fitting into the spaces where I once before fit. I am beginning to realize that perhaps it was never a proper fit. Maybe those spaces were like clothes: I found a “shirt” I really liked, but it wasn’t quite my size. I squeezed into it, and I pretended it was just right for me, but it wasn’t exactly my size. I think this was my life before, my ideologies, policies, politics, life. I never really questioned the size of my shirt. I simply put it on and wore it. Sometimes you just don’t want to shop, so you find the cheapest store and buy the first thing you can see yourself in. Sometimes you shop in someone else’s favorite store. The fact is that you’ve got to go into every store you can imagine and at least look at what is out there.

Ignorance is a heavy weight which sometimes seems light and easy.

Let’s be honest. I’m going to go home. I’m going to move into my parents’ house. I won’t have a car. I will have no money or job. I have no friendships in town left to speak of. I am quite nervous about going back to my church. My personal theology hasn’t so much changed, but my global theology has. I don’t know if that is a real term, global theology.

My notion of what is God’s absolute truth has definitely and permanently changed. I don’t believe in the same black and white which I once believed.

Imagine God. What color is He? You imagine Him in a color which is on the spectrum. You imagine Him in a color of which you can conceive. What if there are other colors which He has kept hidden from us and He is one of those colors? Like this, I believe is His Truth. Who am I to claim that I understand It?

I don’t think that this kind of theology will be will received at my church.

I’ve done some growing up too. I’m better at asserting myself. I’m better at being alone. I’m less tolerant of lip service. I’m more indignant toward injustice. This is a lethal combination in my southern churchy culture.

I love the South. I love living in the South. But here’s the truth from my eyes. The South, particularly the “church culture” is so two-faced. Sweet in her antipathy. Biting your back with a smile. Godly in every way Jesus was not. I do not relish the idea of being subjected to a culture where I cannot trust people. I want to be around people who seek to understand what is real and what really needs to be DONE. I want to be around people who will not think twice about what must be said. I am so tired and value the moments of my life too much to worry about to whom to pay what lip service. Who will behave most in my favor if I pour honey on my words? Who will I look best standing next to?

There isn’t enough time in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
God is not a man, that He should lie. He has revealed His last word to us through Jesus. Truth is the color of Jesus. Jesus is the express image of God...and His only color. As we strip away the ways of men, we are able to embrace the ways of God. (As He intends us to do). Anything less is missing the opportunity and privilege to be transformed to the image of God, in Jesus, (and putting on the right shirt). True promotion, favor, and revelation come from Him. Embrace His color, and no other. I pray you will not throw out the baby with the bath water. The Lord said wheat and tares grow together, and we are not always able to tell the difference with certainty. Therefore we leave the separating process to Him. When you return, (if that is HIs plan for you) you will find a place to flourish in Him. He has promised it. Keep your eyes on the prize. It will always only be Jesus...God is not a man that he should lie. There are many who are putting off the honey, shedding the old shirt, and rejecting anything but Him. If we're truly seeking, we find Him. And we find His people. He makes certain of it! How wonderful! I pray that you prosper, even as your spirit prospers in Him. Safe passage and traveling mercies...dear one.
Wordwitness

cinnamon girl said...

Wow, this post and the one above are so interesting.

I'm not really qualified to comment, as I have never done what you've done, but I'll put my 2 cents in anyway.

I suspect you won't fit into the space where you fit before, since you are not entirely the person you were when you left. You have grown. And it may be difficult to live amongst people who haven't left their comfort zone or questioned the things you now question.

It's been so long since I've been part of a faith community that I've almost forgotton what it's like to worry about not fitting into it. But you may be suprised, and find that people aren't as intolerant of your questioning as you think. Or there may be other people with similar thoughts to you who don't speak up for fear of being ostracised. You may just find that you don't fit, can't fit, and have to find a different faith community. Surely even in the south there are many different churches? Or you could be the catalyst that motivates you church to think more about its 'global theology' (I like that term).

It seems there is just as much culture shock involved in coming home as there is in going away. You may not fit where you used to, but you will find your place.

Ignorance is a heavy weight which sometimes feels light and easy.

That is possibly the best and most profound sentence I've read on the internet this year.

How long till you go back? I look forward to reading about you settling into your new/old life.

Maegen said...

Thanks Harsarder, for your comments!!
And for your reassurance. I'm not sure how or where I will fit, but I'm sure it will work out and for the best.
I'll be home in September. But between now and then you can look forward to hearing about my adventures with my sister, all over the Balkans. I imagine I'll keep blogging here about my adjustment back into 'western' life.