Wednesday, May 23, 2007

"maegen" means...

When I was in college I had a class in old English literature and of course, one of the texts was Beowulf. For the reading I had a bilingual English-Old English side by side version. I noticed a word in the Old-English verison which looked like my name, "maegen" which was translated as "strong."

Here at An Anglo-Saxon Heathon Wedding, "maegen" is described as a spiritual luck or power

However, the description at Northern Tradition Shamanism is much more interesting. "Maegen" is described as a type of honor that you can earn and lose for sticking to your commitments and your word.

"Those with strong maegen will be instinctively trusted more by those who sense it. It's more than just reputation, it's an actual force attached to the soul that can be felt and used."

Now, I'm not trying to get all weird pagan on you. But names are important. I've been in a country for two years where nearly everyone celebrates their "name day" or the day that is the feast of the saint for whom they are named. Some people don't exactly have saint names, but are named after a month, or a flower, which have their own celebration. Names also carry meaning, like "thankful" or "blessed." So I guess I'm just trying to recognize that very important part of who I am. It's my name, my ultimate label.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to see another Maegen spelled Maegen - it's such a great name! For me, my name came from a very different source (I was named after Mae West, the saloon woman from old time wild west movies) but a strong role model nonetheless. I was told as a child by my friend's Scottish mother than Maegen meant "the strong one" but I never had any proof. Thanks for the info, fellow Maegen!

Anonymous said...

hey it's so wierd to see someone else with a name spelled like mine! im a name sake from my two grandmothers and i never thought i would find anyone else! ha=]

Anonymous said...

Well, My name is Maegen,
I was wondering what my name meant,
so far i need your help to focus on something accurate. it is difficult when there is so much to choose from.
But you all spoke from your heart and I accept where you all are anonymously going with your thoughts!!!

Nice site by the way!!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of having most of the commentors anonymous so they dont have to keep signing up just to say something and be publish
by the way the name Maegen is an excellent name, But God himself named us, so why not ask him for the direct answer? he answers you know and I'm In love !!! guess with who?!?

Yes no one but my creator,
this is me again the girl with the Name Maegen! P.s. i did ask Jesus He answered me its personal I cant share.
If u want to Know about my Love talk to me I'll be glad to share with you the great things he has done !! email me at dbride13@yahoo.com

MSG510 said...

For all you Maegens out there, we have a facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=2224675937 so you all should join. Thanks for a much better meaning than the greek Mega meaning large...I'd rather have this one :)

Maegen said...

Hi, im Maegen too. I live in the Czech Republic. My mom liked the name from the movie The Thornbirds. My parents then chose an unusual spelling. I was almost Meghan.

Nice to meet you all!

Anonymous said...

hey guys i am so glad that i found someone else whose name was spelled the same way as mine. I thought i was the only one in the world and it was rather lonely! i was named after a doll because my parents couldnt find a name that fit my personality right. they believed that names represented who you are and that there is a certain name for everyone. in the book they read it said maegen means pearl and also that the greater the risk the more the adventure. it also means the strong and it said something about how maegens arent afraid to stand up for what they believe in. i dont know about you but this sounds just like me. i would like to hear what you guys think....

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am also a Maegen. I love the fact that we all love having our names spelled differently. And, thanks for the definition, it fits me perfectly. The only problem that I have with my name is that I live in the south in the U.S. and people are close-minded. None of them ever say my name right, or spell it right for that matter. But, i've learned to accept it and know that all the misspells and mispronunciations just make Maegen that much more uniqe!

Anonymous said...

Its so cool to see so many people named Maegen! Honestly I thought i would never hear of anyone else with the same spelling. My parents heard the name on a random tv show..they liked the sound of Mae-gen better than the average Megan. So, great to find so many other people named the same! So it means strong?

Anonymous said...

My name is Maegen, but the spelling came from my Great-grandmother GENeva MAE. I had no idea there were so many Maegens!!

Anonymous said...

I always said my name meant "pearl" like the other Megans. But there really is a legit meaning for Maegen!! Sweet. I was named after the Megan from "Thorn Birds". ew..I know.