Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Proverbs 3:1-8

1) My child, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, 2) for they will provide a long and full life, and they will add well-being to you. 3) Do not let truth and mercy leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4) Then you will find favor and good understanding, in the sight of God and people. 5) Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not rely on your own understanding. 6) Acknowledge him in all your ways, and he will make your paths straight. 7) Do not be wise in your own estimation; fear the Lord and turn away from evil. 8) This will bring healing to your body, and refreshment to your inner self.

These verses are the first (particularly 5) that I can recall from my developing days of faith. That is, of course, outside John 3:16 and the Lord's Prayer. This was the verse plastered all over our house. This was the verse that made sense in my soul before I understood what my soul was. Funny how some lessons take a lifetime to learn. It is amazing that in all these years of faith (I know I am young), this one lesson God has been so gently trying to teach me and I have been so stubbornly trying my own means first. What patience does our God have!? I don't suppose I'll ever master the skill of disciplining my flesh to rely first on the Lord rather than indulging in myself. While I won't stop trying, I won't beat myself up either, since perfection is not attainable in this present world. I will- I do praise God for gently showing me again that my only solace is in Him.

Though sorrow may last for the night, His joy comes in the morning!!

These weeks of being alone -- no friends, no family, no church, no dogs (hey, I'm serious); feeling useless, unneeded, and inadequate; suffering from confusion, lack of structure and reliability --have taught me that never in my life have I truly been alone. Those moments I struggled with loneliness, I always had an earthly comfort to console me, at least in part. I am learning here to rely completely and firstly on my savior to be my comforter.

Psalm 139... I am not alone, cannot hide, created and designed, and praising my God.

3 comments:

Maegen said...

Terribly sorry for anyone who viewed the ads. I'm afraid that's normal (mother) and will do my best to clean them off.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know about the advertisements. I just had to harass you!! I do miss not having our discussions. Few people appreciate a discussion the way you and I do!!!
You really are doing a great job on the blogsite, and we who read your postings are thankful that you have the technology available to you to keep us informed.
Love ya lots & miss ya bunches!!!

Anonymous said...

I meant to add this earlier.
XOX

The Lord your God..will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17 NIV