Tuesday, August 23, 2005

What is life like in Bulgaria?

What is life like in Bulgaria? I could tell you about the random adventures I get into, stranded at bus stations, or meandering through unknown cities following vague directions I half-understand because I've adopted the Bulgarian "spokoino" (relax!) attitude. Or I could tell you about the Bulgarian sense of generosity. About the family that opened their home and hearts to me so that now I am Kakata (the biggest sister) of two families. About the babi (grandmothers) who have showered me with their kisses, hugs, and fresh veggies. Or I could tell you about the Beauty to be found here. Beauty in the mountains who send down a cool breeze every evening. Beauty found in the weddings which last all day and include dancing in the streets and rejoicing with friends and family for hours. Beauty in the face of bebe and baba (baby and grandma) playing in the street. Beauty in the toothless smile of the cleaning lady at school as she calls me a village girl and pinches my 23 going on 5 year old cheeks, because I have my hair back in two French braids. I could tell you about the wonder of God that can be experienced here. How wonderful it is to stand in a room filled with the smoke from honey candles burnt in worship of God, watching people worship in the same way and in the same place their people have been worshipping Him for centuries. How wonderful it is to review Bible stories on the ceiling of monasteries with wonderful friends. How wonderful it is to share this unique Bulgarian experience with friends, knowing we share something that is so limited, in many ways. How wonderful it is to hear the thunder crash and knowing that on the other side of the mountain, someone else feels that same crash and we feel the electricity of it just the same. But telling you these things will not do justice to Bulgarian life, or my experience. Sadly, my feeble words cannot describe life in Bulgaria. So just know that this is an adventurous, generous, beautiful, and wonderful nation and I am daily increasingly proud to be here. Know that I am thankful for being taught my fears are real emotions, but they are never enough to keep me from my dreams, and that dreams are seeds God places in your heart so that he may grown them into fruit. Know that like no other time in my life, I am mixed up in loneliness, pride, joy, satisfactions, and loneliness (oh, have I mentioned that?) in such a way that I would never change the experiences I've had thus far. My life- Bulgaria.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I and a few others all know how much I would like for you to correct your type-o!!

XXOOXX
Your Mother!!!
PS Maybe He would like for you to change it to!!!!!

Maegen said...

fixed, you happy??

Anonymous said...

Pretty much, but it's mostly your smiling face that makes me happy!!!! If I could get my fingers on those cheeks, I'd pinch'm too!!!!!!
Mommy

Maegen said...

You're a dork, and since you're the only person who comments to my posts, now I look like one too! Luvyameanit!