Monday, May 08, 2006

been a long time

I suppose I should be ashamed to admit this, but it's been a long time since I've seen something that hurt my heart to the point that I cried. I mean something unjust, tragic, and not directly related to me.

My sister recently participated in something I had not heard about called "Global Night Commute" which was an effort by Invisible Children to raise awareness about children in Uganda who because of war and acts of terrorism must walk to a safe place every evening to sleep. This is the only way they avoid the terrorist acts of kidnapping and murder that are results of war in their region.



It's sad. I recently got an email about babies. BABIES. b.a.b.i.e.s. being raped in South Africa by multiple men because of the myth that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin, the younger the better. *spits on the floor in disgust* I am incredibly not qualified but this is one of those moments where part of me wishes I was doing some sort of community health education program. Not that we don't have problems here.

Oh, there are health problems here. But peoples lives are relatively uneffected so, I suppose, they don't see the urgent need to raise awareness on these topics. Topics like, yes Bulgaria, AIDS does exist here, sex education, why smoking really is bad for you, trafficking in persons, why spaying and nuetering stray animals is a good thing and not infringing on the rights of animals.

Peace Corps Bulgaria does touch on these topics. More than touch really. Trafficking in persons is a large element of what we are expected to work on as PCVs, and in this we are given the opportunity to comment on many inclusive subjects. Drugs, alcohol, responsible sexual habits, STDs are all subjects which can effect or are effected by the industry of human trafficking.

I don't really know why I'm rambling about either of these two topics. Have a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW - THE 6 MINUTE CNN VIDEO MADE A LASTING AFFECT ON ME. I HAD NO IDEA! HOW IS IT THAT CANNOT BE STOPPED?