Thursday, May 25, 2006

God help these knees




Some fun pics of me and my counterpart! As you may remember, Yulia is a bit of a fearless soul. She's the one who decided to teach herself to ski (there are pics somewhere on this blog). We went to a nearby village, Bachevo, today to go horseback riding.

My counterpart, among other people, have decided that it's time I had a Bulgarian boyfriend. I've never been one for arranged hook-ups. So I laughed at meeting "sporty gordy," the slightly overweight ski teacher or "mountain rescuer" who's now a security guard and aspiring dump truck businessman. Are you impressed? Are you shocked that I laugh these descriptions off? I'll say one thing for most Bulgarians: they are honest, no sugarcoating here! So my CP decided that this guy is just what I need... hm.

I realized in these two arranged meetings I've had with Mr. Volleyball that I allow myself to be overshadowed. Being with my CP today and the other night at dinner with several of her husband's friends I realize how inadequate my Bulgarian is and wander of into my own world. I can have a fun conversation with one Bulgarian, or when there are other people with about my level of Bulgarian, but I CANNOT keep up with Bulgarians. So I feel like I'm not really myself which isn't fair to me, but what can I do? Study Bulgarian a bit more! and I guess if people really want to get to know me, they'll try to keep the conversation at my level. I can't blame them, really. No one wants to dumb it down for the foreigner.

Anyway, here's what I learned today...

1. horseback riding is not easy
2. you have to keep your knees in an unnatural and nearly unGodly position.
3. horses sweat and get your pants wet, which is gross.
4. horses are like children, you have to tell them exactly what you want them to do. They do not understand inuendo and they only understand body language which directly effects them (i.e. pulls their head or hurts their sides).
5. Someone who does not speak your language often makes a bad 'blind date"

4 comments:

Sarah said...

awww. cute pics, maegen! and you are a brave girl! i think horses are beautiful animals, but i am a little daunted to ride them. go yoU! and i think blind dates in general are a bad idea.

Anonymous said...

Hey you look great on the horse. That seems to look like a powerful horse. It looks beautiful there.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Melody!!! :) Hold on to the horses and forget the guys!
I remember when you wanted a horse, and I am glad that you get to be around them for the time being.

Love ya -
Mom

Maegen said...

ya stiga! i still want a horse! and something to do tonight would be nice too!