Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Loving the distances...

"Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances exist, a wonderful living side by side can grow up if they succeed in loving the distance between them, which makes it possible for each to see the other against a wide sky." Rainer Maria Rilke

I absolutely love this quote, and one day while I was quite alone a pondered on it...

To rephrase, we cannot fully love eachother until we love the space in between eachother. We must fall in love with the differences -- those things about eachother that can make us feel so far apart. What a liberal concept for this conservative girl. I do conceed that humanity has had tremendous difficulties seeing the distances without fear and abomination. These spaces have been the causes and results of great wars, great problems, and a great deal of apathy, which is far more dangerous than the most venomous hate.

So what is a girl such as myself to do? I love -- I love with an unaffected, ineffective love. My love is talk -- all men are created in the image of the Lord. Jesus is alive in the hearts of all men. But does my behavior reflect this radical love? Have I ever really loved someone "unloveable?"

How does the love of the distance effect my more personal relationships? There are certain distances which seem like wide gaping abyses. We stand on the precipece and gauge the distance to the other side. We try to construct bridges using only those objects which are quickly at our disposal. There are so many more methods than we recognize. So perhaps I should begin to peer into these distances not with a longing to dive but to understand them, to know the person on the other side more deeply. I should understand these distances which are between us. Why must I consider these distances so inexcusable? Perhaps even in my cotrolled and deliberate form of love I can begin to look into the distances more as if they are beautiful lakes countaining bounty within and many ways to be traveled and explored, rather than as an empty abyss with nothing to offer a soul and no way to be bridged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Maegen!! I miss you! You are never alone, because we are always in each others hearts and thoughts. I am sure that you are making a huge impact on everyone you meet, so stay the course and you will see the work that God is able to do through you.

I love you!!!
Molly

Maegen said...

Rereading this post after many changes, I'm reminded now of a different quote from Rilki. I don't have it with me, and can only remember the beginning... "Try to love the questions themselves" If anyone knows that quote, I'd love to have it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Maegen,
Could it be from Rilke's "Letters To A Young Poet" Letter #4 ??

"Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer. (as translated by Stephen Mitchell)

XXOOXX
Julie

Maegen said...

THANKS MOMMY!!! LOVE YA