Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Random Ramblings

I have really nothing to say, but I have really not much to do so I'm blogging from this cheap internet connection while listening to Matt Kearney musing kindly in my ears. So my Bulgarian life... what is it like here?

Here are the basics: Quality of life is quite decent here and the cost of living is considerably less than in the states. For a Peace Corps Volunteer, life is pretty good. I have a decent (over using the word, I know) flat in a town of about 13,000. Razlog is smack in between Pirin, Rila, and the Rhodope Mountains. It is fantastically beautiful. Beyond words really. The quality of housing varies greatly within each town and even more greatly within cities and regions. I don't think that in this country, where quite adequate housing is available, PC would allow us to live in anything less that safe and secure. Food is interesting here. It seems that kitchen conviniences are not quite considered here. Funny because most folks can afford better stoves, they just don't buy them. It is more important to spend extra time preparing each meal, but save money for a family vacation, or entertaining guests. It is a real priority statement.

Here, I live in a flat with a bedroom, a bathroom (note on BG baths... we don't so much have a shower as it is known in the states. There is simply a showerhead in the bathroom. People use tile in their kitchens and bathrooms always, and frequently in the rest of the house, so it is just more convenient to not build the extra walls for a shower.) and a kitchen/dining room/living room. I have a very old stove, a refrigerator, a washing machine so old I'm afraid to use it, a television with a cable from my neighbor. My neighbor is my landlord. This flat is not, as is common, part of a soviet style block building. I live on the second floor of a multi-family home. Baba and Dyado (gramma and grampa) live on the first floor. Their son, his wife, and their two teenage boys live on the third floor. Their sons will likely be my students in the fall. You'd think all of these conveniences would make me feel quite at home.

I guess the culture shock only set in once I left the cozy training. It is difficult now, but I'm keeping up a decent attitude. I have few folks to whom I whine and complain in sorry emails, but after I rant a bit I usually feel much better. The most challenging problem I face right now is simply not having much structure... in my living arrangement, work schedule, diet, anything. That's tough for me. We're getting there.

I believe I've racked up this internet bill enough for today. I, as always, welcome your emails and comments. Sorry for a crummy post. I just needed to post and haven't anything valuable to say. Love and kisses from snow capped July mountains!

No comments: