Sunday, October 02, 2005

Avoiding Work with a Post

It’s lazy Sundays like today that I miss some of the comforts of the States.  I walked out of the bathroom with cold hands because I forgot to turn on my hot water heater last night.  Because of my negligence, I don’t have enough hot water to take a shower today.  Even though my hair is clean enough to go out, I don’t think I will.  Somewhere between the bathroom and the not so cozy armchair (which is not very far), I realized I am quite hungry.  It is 1:30 after all, and all I’ve had to eat today was a piece of coffee cake that my landlady brought over.  Not five minutes after I rolled out of bed she was knocking at my door inviting me over for coffee. (She must have been listening for my toilet to flush)  Lady, I’m still in my pajamas here, let alone still with yucky sticky morning teeth.  She brought coffee to my flat, as her boys are still asleep.  

So yeah, I’m still hungry and missing comforts.  In my hunger and laziness I wish for a frozen Sam’s Club lasagna that I could throw into the oven. Or, even better, the ability to, in my “just rolled out of bed,” undressed, unbrushed, pajamas and toe-socks state, hop in my Jeep and run down to Taco Bell for the afternoon breakfast of champions.  Breakfast, only because it’s the first meal of the day, even though it is afternoon and clearly NOT breakfast food.  It gets tiring to make breakfast from scratch, although I can make killer apple pancakes (talk about work!!).   In my coldness I wish for a heater that worked and more winter clothes.  In my loneliness I wish that my most meaningful English language conversations weren’t delayed and confused by my ability to punch this keyboard.  

But on the bright side…  

…It’s not raining today!  It rained ALL DAY yesterday.  It really started to pour around 7pm.  I’m not sure when it began, but I noticed around 8:30 that I had a nasty leak in my ceiling.  I informed my landlady right away.  Of course, I don’t know how to say, “My ceiling is leaking” in Bulgarian.  I go over and say, “I have a problem.”  Lili, my landlady, looks at me with great concern.  I point to the ceiling and say, “Water.”  Profound.  I’m back to communicating like a two year old.  Fabulous.  today.  no water. sun.  better. me like.  

…The boring weekend is almost over and tomorrow I can go back to school and both deal with and love the chaos that is my school.  I have a blast in my classes.  I’m still not sure where I fit in, in my school, among my English teacher colleagues, in this town.  The only thing I do know is that I belong in that classroom.  I still don’t know exactly what it is I’m supposed to be teaching these kids.  For now, that does not matter.  Well, that’s what I keep telling myself.  

…My face looks a bit better today.  I went for a “facial” yesterday.  Now, I’ve never had a facial before, neither Bulgarian nor American.  I suppose if I took better care of my skin and went more regularly, I’d be a bit better off today.  I’ll tell you what, that hurt.  I was expecting massages and cucumbers and masques.  Well, you might could call that a massage, and I sure did get a masque (you wanna talk about tight!).  Never in my life, have I…  Even though my face looked like radioactive minefield yesterday, it felt really fresh and clean.  So I’ll probably go back next month.  What can I say?  I’m a glutton for punishment, always have been, right ma?  

Well, I’m going to go back to work on my Summer Project Report, or as I like to call it, “How to Have a Crummy Summer,” or “Maegen’s List of Failures.”  Maybe I’ll post that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

My mom told me you were in Bulgaria and teaching! Congrats!

Be sure to take care of yourself. Probably the best advice I can give you from my travel experiences. (But I only spent one month in Peru and six weeks in Mexico)

Have a wonderful time, and cherish these moments abroad. They are memories you will be able to carry with you forever - many will seem almost magical.

All is well for ME back in the states. I got to fly my mom back in December (I remarried - someone really nice, family oriented - above all a good friend that I like and love) - and then right away we got blessed!

October 11, 2005 -- We had our first child. We named him Raymond Bernard Endert - Raymond after her grandfather's name -- Bernard after Grandpa George's middle name. Very appropriate. He is good natured -- and very alert.

I learned the whole family progression stuff about cousins - first cousins - and once removed twice removed at Grandpa George's funeral - but everytime I try to explain it Melissa (my wife's name) says "Who cares? It's family!" Duh. Anyrate you have a new cousin.... I sent your mom and dad a chocolate bar rather than a cigar to celebrate.

I am currently teaching special ed -- it is my second year -- I teach communicatively handicapped students -- about half come from strictly Spanish speaking backgrounds -- so I am so thankful for my experiences in Spanish -- it also helps me empathize with the struggles of others in English and with language acquisition in general.

Take care and God bless. I have already rambled too much -- but we are all so proud of you.