Sunday, August 13, 2006

Did you know?

I realized that I remember hearing about the crisis in Somalia when I was young. I remember seeing the pictures of the starving babies with distended bellies. I vaguely remember not exactly of Mogadishu, but of an armed forces movement- of something beyond peaceful shipments of food and medical aide. This was before the genocide in Rwanda.

Did you know there is fighting again in Mogadishu?

"The 2nd Battle of Mogadishu started in May 2006. The battle is being fought between the Alliance for the Restoration of Peace and Counter-Terrorism or "ARPCT" and militia loyal to Islamic Courts Union or "ICU". The conflict began in mid-February. As of June 5th, at least 350 people, mostly civilians, have died caught in the crossfire. Mogadishu residents described it as the worst fighting in more than a decade of lawlessness. The Islamists blame the U.S. for funding warlords in an attempt to prevent them gaining power in the lawless country through its Central Intelligence Agency. The U.S. government and the CIA have neither admitted nor denied these allegations.

The Somali transitional government president Abdullahi Yusuf told the BBC the alliance of warlords is not fighting on behalf of the government.

On 5 June 2006, it was reported that members of the Islamic Militia had taken control of Mogadishu, and Prime Minister Ali Mohammed Ghedi was seeking to open a dialog with them. Four powerful warlords who had been serving as ministers had been sacked.[1] On 14 June 2006 the last ARPCT stronghold in the south, the town of Jowhar, fell with little resistance to the ICU. Reports had the remaining ARPCT forces fleeing to the east. As of this date the alliance appears near collapse with three warlords having withdrawn and a fourth reported to be considering joining them. The transitional government has approved the intervention of foreign peacekeepers. On 7 July forces in Mogadishu loyal to the last active member of the Alliance, Abdi Qeybdid, surrendered leaving the ICU in control of 99% of the capital.[2]

On July 20, 2006, it was reported by the BBC that a column of 100 Ethiopian military vehicles including armoured personnel carriers had crossed from the Ogaden region of Ethiopia and into Somalia. This followed advances made by Islamic Courts Union forces who had advanced to within 60km of the town of Baidoa. Further reports stated that Ethiopian troops had been seen in uniform on the streets of Baidoa. The Ethiopian government denies its forces have entered Somalia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalia

4 comments:

cinnamon girl said...

Yes, I knew.

But mainly because I was reading a blog called Desert Shade by someone who is there. Unfortunately he deleted the blog a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

Hey meg! I met a lady while I was working at the Y from Mogadishu. She told me not to go there because they would kill me there and she has no desire to go, and it was her home, so I should have no desire either.

Much Love,
Erik Endert

Tanya said...

Maegen, this comment has no connection with the subject of the current post, therefore I'm asking for excuse.
I really want to ask you if foreign sitizens (not americans) could apply for peace corps volunteers. I've written the link "peace corps" on your blog, but unfortunately couldn't find the answer of my question. I'll be very thankfull and will be waiting for that usefull information from you.
I'm very interested in a job like this. If it is not possible for me to apply for peace corps volunteer, I'll be very thankfull if you know and tell me about similar organizations or jobs. :)
Thank you in advance and... best wishes!

Tanya said...

Hi, Maegen!
Thank you very much for your response. :) It is usefull for me.