Sunday, August 06, 2006

Dubrovnik is Perfect

The first full day we were there, Mom and I walked the city wall with a little hand speaker that told us about what we could see from each of the twenty something locations. This picture was taken from above the Pile entrance, which is the entrance with the drawbridge, if you've been. It looks out on the Franciscan Church, the main walking street, and at the other end, the city clock tower and the entrance to the old harbor.  
Dubrovnik, and I suppose most sea coast towns, has this perfect humidity. It's not like the humidity in the South that suffocates you with moisture. It's a kind of humidity that, when the salt water blows in with the wind, helps your body to cool off. I can't explain it. I've lived on the coast before, but I guess the Pacific and the Adriatic are a bit different.  
Mom and I travelled from Sarajevo to Dubrovnik with a college friend, Rachel. She works there and had access to a car. A suburban actually. You can't imagine the looks on the firemen sitting outside as five women drive by in a huge late 90s Suburban. Anyway. We took this big beast down, me and the mom, my friend Rachel, her roommate, and a friend of hers who lives in Mostar (more pics of that sometime). Rachel was going to stay with us in Dubrovnik and the other two were going to have dinner and return to Mostar. Rachel wasn't feeling well, so she returned with the other two. It worked out better, Rae, we had a crummy room, and it was too hot for you. This is the sunset on that first night. We parked above the city wall, above most of the city- which is on a hill. It was a georgious night.  
Another picture from the city wall. I just loved how they put decorative or symbolic elements on the outside of the wall. I'm not sure which saint this guy represents, but he is facing the sea. I just thought it was a cool shot.   Posted by Picasa

No comments: