Thursday, February 23, 2006

:(

It is a strange time of year for this type of announcement, but I’m feeling quite homesick.  We here in South West Bulgaria are finding ourselves from amidst the snow and ice.  I can almost see the cherry blossoms coming out.  The trash fire haze is beginning to ebb leaving a clear view of the once fog- and smog-obstructed mountains.  But somehow I long to be home.  I’m not so much lonely.  And it’s not from boredom.  I just really want to be home.  I miss my family, not in an “I need my family to support me emotionally way,” but in an “I miss my family” kind of way.  There is a small hint of regret for all the things I am missing at home.  I missed my brother’s high school graduation.  I missed seeing him finish his first triathlon.  I will miss my sister’s last two years of high school.  I won’t be able to help her through all the drama that is your senior year.  I won’t get to see her off to her senior prom.  I will miss her high school graduation as well.  

I think part of it has to do with that feeling of being in a place where you know you are so deeply and unequivocally loved.  I know that some of the relationships I have made in the Peace Corps are strong like family.  I look at some of these people as my brothers and sisters.  I can’t imagine my life without them.  But they don’t live with me everyday.  The best I can get is a little chatche, a few lines on the IM.  I miss coming home to something besides the residue of myself.  Everything in my flat smells of me or the rot that I have left behind.  Every trinket was given to me, and anything not given to me was bought by me.  I want other people’s things.  I want to see someone else’s mess.  Is that strange?  Maybe it is loneliness after all.  I just miss something other, someone else.  I miss my doggie.  I miss being able to relish the hour or two of quiet time when the house was abandoned, knowing that I would be disturbed by the chaos of our 8 living bodies coexisting under one roof.  I miss feeling sad and saying, “mommy hold you” and knowing that while nothing was fixed, I was loved and comforted – that someone else saw the pain on my face, felt the ache in my muscles, and hurt with me.  

Here I am, with nothing broken, but feeling so homesick.  Actually, I’m probably at the most emotionally stable place I’ve been since I got to this country.  Perhaps I just have nothing else to worry about, but I just can’t stop thinking about home.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we can't stop thinking about you. Marc is graduating soon and going out of state to college so I have been weepy and emotional lately. But what does make my heart smile is the fact that both of you know you are truly loved by your family. Doesn't get much better than that.
Love,
Beth

Maegen said...

Well miss Beth, if it's any consolation, my mom and I talk considerably less, but I definitely feel closer to her. I've had to share these trials with her and things we never really talked about before. Sometimes distance does make the heart grow fonder...

You're right, it doesn't get better than having the love of your family, and being in another state, timezone, or hemisphere can't change that!