Friday, March 10, 2006

I CAN'T SEE, HELP ME!! I'M BLIND!!

I got a packaged today from my mommy!  It’s just a little package, but it has two of the best things I can think of, Jennifer Knapp’s new CD and some sour candy.  There was also an adorable picture of my doggie.  As I lay here and listen to this fabulous collection of JK’s live recordings, I feel more than a little bit nostalgic.  Jennifer’s not really in the music scene these days so I haven’t been to one of her shows if a few years, and there’s no sense in thinking that if I were home the listening would be better in some way.  There are just some things I listen to that remind me of certain things: driving in the summer with the windows down (David Crowder Band), road trips to Indy or Louisville (Dixie Chicks), moments celebrating my familial dysfunction (John Mayer), and of course, when ever I needed to motivate myself to clean or get ready and going in the mornings it was Jennifer Knapp.  That motivation factor isn’t transatlantic, in case anyone is wondering.  I am struck with the profundity of her lyrics today.  On one hand I agree so completely, in my heart and in my mind.  However, a bit of my soul won’t let me completely agree because there is a dichotomy between what I feel and what I do.  

I had the weirdest experience today.  Have you ever looked at the sun and had a spot in your vision for a moment or two after that?  For the first few seconds it may be completely black there, then as your rods and pins or whatever they’re called come back into balance your vision is restored through stages of fuzziness.  Well, I was walking in the center to do a bit of shopping and I notice that I have one of those fuzzy spots as if I had looked at the sun, in the bottom left quarter of my vision.  I hadn’t looked at the sun though, or anything bright.  I went into the Euro shop to pick up more tissue because yes, I’ve gone through five packs in the last four days.  I had to look at things sideways in order to read them.  I went to the next store.  Same story.  But by this time it was totally creeping me out.  As I left that store and walked toward the grocer’s my vision went back to normal.  Those thirty minutes were more than long enough.  I am a bit of a drama queen, so I was thinking, “maybe my vision is escaping me!  maybe I’ve busted a nerve coughing.  can anyone else see what’s wrong with my eye?  maybe it’s inflamed or droopy or something.”  Whatevs.  My eye got better.  I’m sure it has something to do either with my sinus problem or with the Sudafed I’m taking.  Speaking of Sudafed, I’ve been getting mild bloody noses on account of that mess.  Grrr.  I hate it, but I am taking it because wellllll,  I HATE BEING SICK!

Go find a way to hear Jennifer Knapp’s new album, “Live”     

No comments: