Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Nashville

“Nashville”
David Mead
Indiana


on a childhood highway through a night alone
i was barely breathing, i was crawling home
well it's not quite london or the south of france
or an asian island or a second chance
going back to nashville, thinking about the whole thing
guess you gotta run sometimes
maybe i'm a fast train rolling down the mountain
watching all my life go by
you're a distant memory, you're an exit sign
i was talking crazy on the drivers side
and i know i hurt you but i won't confess
was that blood or a wine stain on your wedding dress
going back to nashville, thinking about the whole thing
guess you gotta run sometimes
maybe im a fast train rolling down the mountain
watching all my life go by
going back to nashville, laughing at a bad break
what's the use in wondering why
maybe i'm a storm front rolling through the valley
tearing up a good july
and its safe and warm where nothing ever happens
would it be so hard to realign a star or two
change a southern night for you
well it's not quite evening and it's not new york
theres a scar in the blue sky by the old airport
and i'm talking crazy on the driver's side
i will always love you like a long goodbye

I’m not going back to Nashville, and it’s a good thing, because if I did, I wouldn’t come back… I just heard this song on MSN Radio’s “compare to 100.1” station. It’s super music (not country for you haters…). Check it! Anyway, I like the Nashvillian nostalgia. I miss the Southern country Christmas. Going to the mall for last minute Christmas shopping… putting up with old ladies at the Cracker Barrel Country Store… The smell of desserty candles being made in our garage… People coming and going all the time… The hectic bustle of Hickory Hollow and those OBSCENE southern drivers… Somehow, I miss it. Sleeping in with my puppy… Drinking hot cocoa in my big cozy bed… mommy tickle my back! mommy hold you! What’s the use in wondering why?

1 comment:

vassi said...

Damn, girl,
i so appreciate your raw honesty. i hardly 'know' you and yet i feel like i know you as well as i know myself because of the openness with which you share your soul. Almost started bawling when reading your bit about the family. You speak so much truth..so much loving truth...truth hurts sometimes. Feeling much gratitude right now to 'know' you through our shared Peace Corps experience, through the shared feelings of our souls. Your words speak to my heart. thank you for that. i hope that we can hang out outside of internet land someday,
vassi