Sunday, December 04, 2005

quotes

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibres connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibres as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
Herman Melville

This quote sounds something like Donne's bit about not asking for whom the bell tolls. Ahha, do I love google. I can google this, "for whom the bell tolls" and I find a couple links to Hemmingway's book by that title, the IMDb site for the film, and a link to a bunch of Donne's work.   By the way, I love the fact that the word "google," which was originally the name of a website, has become a verb meaning, "to search for something on the internet." For example, "I don't know the exact URL, just google it."  One doesn't have to use google.com, you just have to use a search engine (why you wouldn't use google I don't know).   I can't wait until google means simply "to search for something or someone."  For example, "Will you help me google my car keys?  I can't seem to find them."  teeheehee...  I love when language evolves!  

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee...”
From Meditation 17
By John Donne
Meditation 17 by John Donne

Actually, I'd like to recommend that you go ahead and read the rest of that Meditation. It took me a minute to recognize this, but both of these quotes remind me of The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I'm not saying I agree with the theology or the concept of Heaven that this book portrays, but all three of my references here suggest that we are all connected. I think that believing this notion furthers a spirit of love and generosity that Jesus would be honored by, so don't think I'm getting all new-agey here. Just because some wacky quiz maker says I sound agnostic (wha'er!)...    

No comments: