Sunday, January 15, 2006

Here are a couple of quotes from one of the most inspired people I've ever heard/read. I highly encourage you to read his book, Velvet Elvis. If you're in Bulgaria, you can nag Sarah Stiles to get you my copy of this book.

"There is a sick, distorted, twisted thing that can happen when people who are single are made to feel second class." Rob Bell... "Sexy on the Inside" sermon at Mars Hill


"Throughout Church history some of the most powerful things that have been said, some of the people who've been most influential, literally transforming whole countries and nation states because of their connection with God, where single, celebate, virgins, nuns, monks, priests, leaders who've just said, 'I give myself to this work.' Again, I'm so sorry if you've ever been sent the message that if you'd just find somebody, then you'd be normal like everybody else. It's not true. You're fine exactly as you are... You are okay"
Rob Bell... "Sexy on the Inside" sermon at Mars Hill

"You cannot enter into any sort of significant relationship if you aren't willing to forgive a lot and allow yourself to be forgive a lot."
Rob Bell... "Sexy on the Inside sermon at Mars Hill

Listen to Mars Hill sermons, also here is a sermon at Mars Hill by the pastor at Imago Dei (there are also a bunch of downloadable sermons here), a church in Portland, OR. This is the church that the author of Blue Like Jazz attends...

I went to a church service today. The first time in my town. I don't know what came over me, but I totally clammed up. I'm now under the impression that there are two protestant churches in my town. This one I went to today, with the super-cool PE teacher who gave me home-made pine honey and five-finger leaves, is a normal protestant church, so I wasn't really very comfortable. There was one man in the whole building. The preacher. I didn't understand much. I know there is a church in the Roma neighborhood, and I'm pretty sure it's more my style. But I've had one contact with the pastor, and I wasn't pleased with it. We'll see...

No comments: